Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Here's my bitch. The broadcast industry wants HD Radio, but where's the push?

August 28, 2020 10:53AM
jta is spot-on with his assessment of HD Radio and the "industry" push for it. If you listen to any iHeart station today, you quickly realize that radio is simply an advertising system for their other digital distribution platforms. Who the hell would buy an HD Radio to listen to all those ads? The commercial radio industry's been sagging badly for several years and all the major players are saddled by debt and fading revenue. I doubt we'll see any effort to promote HD radio by giving away free sets. They are probably more interested at getting car manufacturers to put HD radio into vehicles. They view the industry as an ad platform and strive towards the blandest possible content.

Perhaps also mentioning is that HD radio in the US is based on a proprietary system. Maybe if it was open source and royalty-free there'd be more interest in it outside of the likes of iHeart, which has done much to destroy broadcast radio.
Subject Author Views Posted

Here's my bitch. The broadcast industry wants HD Radio, but where's the push?

ThaDood 628 August 27, 2020 01:39PM

Re: Here's my bitch. The broadcast industry wants HD Radio, but where's the push?

jtart 566 August 27, 2020 02:23PM

cosmikdebris 551 August 28, 2020 10:53AM

jtart 555 August 29, 2020 02:13PM

ThaDood 535 August 29, 2020 02:16PM

Radio Animal 539 September 03, 2020 02:37PM

ThaDood 542 September 03, 2020 03:56PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login