Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Could this be a chance to tell the NAB to GO TO HELL?

September 06, 2014 02:08AM
To me, the thing NAB wanted was more channels to get a leg up on cable TV and offer competition. That was always a problem with analog, not as much space, especially on VHF, and high startup costs for any full power station.

I didn't think about rural areas being shut out of signals because of digital, but it has to be true. I've visited people in the mountains who had no clear analog signals, and they could watch a fringe signal with a vague picture, but at least they had something.

In Pittsburgh I get dozens of digital signals well, but I'm cut off from distant cities, it's true. I used to get signals from Steubenville, Youngstown, Wheeling and Johnstown, up to 50-60 miles away. Johnstown should have been the hardest, over a few mountain ridges, but WFAT TV-19, I think might have been up to 5 million watts in later times.

Now I can get nothing from anywhere else but Pittsburgh, that's with a UHF bowtie antenna by the TV, I haven't tried a rooftop antenna on the roof or a tower.

Could rural areas try a high gain antenna and preamp like they used to do, and pull in digital?

Boomer
Subject Author Views Posted

Could this be a chance to tell the NAB to GO TO HELL?

ThaDood 1592 September 05, 2014 11:09PM

Radio Animal 1242 September 06, 2014 02:08AM

ThaDood 1191 September 06, 2014 11:06AM

Ragnar 1277 September 07, 2014 07:52AM

ff 1107 September 07, 2014 10:54AM

jtart 1354 September 07, 2014 12:05PM

Pat Murphy 1210 September 07, 2014 06:32PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login