Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WFME 1560AM signs off frequency today.

February 15, 2021 04:29PM
Now is the time to look for DX on the 1560 freq if WFME was a problem for DXing in the past. I'm hearing two stations on 1560 now, 5:13 PM, but both are mostly unintelligible. When one of the signals finally got stronger I heard a "Today's Country, 102.9, WKIK" ID. Signal is decent but fades out quite a bit a times.

"102.9 WKIK - WKIK is a broadcast radio station in Mechanicsville, Maryland, United States, providing Top 40 Adult Contemporary and Oldies Country music."

Last week I tuned in to WFME and things seemed normal until I heard that they were working on finding a new site for their xmitter operations. On Sunday 2/14, they were playing a looped msg stating the station would be off air shortly and they were looking for a new site (or maybe a station up for sale they could make use of) and get back on air to the NY metro market. As of 10 AM this morn' the signal is gone.

Someone posted on the RadioDiscussion forum that the site had been purchased for an industrial park and FR may have made a ton of money on the deal (confirmed?/unconfirmed?). "Family Radio bought the station for 12.95 million, and they sell the tower site for 51 million."

Can't blame them, nice profit. Don't know what they plan for the future or if anyone is selling a ready to go station in the area. Takes time to find the land and build from scratch. Buying what someone else no longer wants allows a quick return to the air, which is what Toms Evans, FR prez, seemed to be saying during his on air talks about the station last week. They used to be in West Orange, NJ and pushed a decent signal to NY with the 94.7FM freq they had. I would think their Philly 950AM station can cover West & South NJ, so a NJ station might make more sense to cover NJ & NY.
Subject Author Views Posted

WFME 1560AM signs off frequency today.

RF-1170 745 February 15, 2021 04:29PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login