Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: SWL'ing mentions Radio Jay Qodosen SR-286. And, the review.

January 10, 2024 08:20PM
Nice looking portable, seems like it's in the early production phase with trouble getting the receiver chips? I see you can get it straight from red China on the Alibaba Express site though, it looks like they're real, and $130. Also note that there are mini table model receivers using the same chip, at half the price

I've long thought that automotive DSP chips should be used in portable radios for highest quality reception. It seems like the reception is excellent in Qodosen, and I'd be most interested in mediumwave and shortwave, and FM when traveling. Since AM is most sensitive on the whip, I'd use that out in the woods to get the microvolt sensitivity.

I had the idea to use a whip antenna on the AM band years ago, wondering why AM radios only used ferrite loopsticks. It comes down to the theory that a loop antenna is receiving the signal magnetically, good pickup indoors, while the whip is more of an electrostatic pickup, high impedance, and doesn't do well within buildings.

The loop also doesn't need a ground to work well, where the whip is more sensitive to ground, so you'd get variable reception in different places, or when holding it versus sitting it on a table. Low performance on a whip indoors was found in the 1930s, which is why most radios went with loops from then on, or a loop with an optional longwire connection.
Subject Author Views Posted

SWL'ing mentions Radio Jay Qodosen SR-286. And, the review.

ThaDood 146 December 30, 2023 01:10PM

Re: SWL'ing mentions Radio Jay Qodosen SR-286. And, the review.

Radio Animal 53 January 10, 2024 08:20PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login