Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Look out FCC Part 15 devices: AM radio is gonna getcha? Radio Survivor article.

November 12, 2023 01:10AM
Pretty good article. I've heard talk about efforts to clean up the spectrum, I never hear of anything actually being done however. I guess there are too many products to police, and I could see how that would be, where a store like an Ollies or Dollar General makes a one-time buy of small electronics, and sells them out, and never gets the same thing again.

A local dollar store got a set of small FM transmitters that must have had more signal than versions from Belkin, like you'd get from Wal-Mart. They also had clock and temperature and I told people about them, and we wanted to grab them all, but they were gone the next time we went, and there were no exact matches on line.

I just think no one can keep up with interference to radio, especially AM radio, and regulators likely see it as a pain we have to endure, as the price for having our high tech, and only seem to go after specific interference complaints.

There was AM Revitalization, with a set of ideas, but only a few of them got approved, like allowing less efficient short antennas, and Modulation Dependent Carrier Level, and a few other things like the Ratchet Rule. I was glad they didn't make a rule to have all stations GPS locked to their frequencies.

That might be a nice thing, but I think it should be a voluntary agreement between stations that might have carrier beat problems. Someone else proposed 2 hz frequency stability, rather than the +/- 20 hz we've had for years now. Almost all stations would be forced to replace their oscillators, not good for all the mom and pop stations out there.

I noticed something unrelated, but about this site, at the very bottom of this page it says "The Free Radio Network, 2013", so does that mean we should be celebrating the tenth anniversary of FRN? I know there was a previous incarnation done by someone else before that.

Boom
Subject Author Views Posted

Look out FCC Part 15 devices: AM radio is gonna getcha? Radio Survivor article.

ThaDood 79 November 10, 2023 01:27PM

Re: Look out FCC Part 15 devices: AM radio is gonna getcha? Radio Survivor article.

Radio Animal 43 November 12, 2023 01:10AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login