February 03, 2014 11:48PM
Doin' this from memory, but about mid-90's Christmas Eve mid-night WJDI came on booming on 1620KHz AM boasting 15KW, and maybe higher. Wasn't on for even an hour with rock tunes and parady skits when suddenly, off-air. Came back on in less that 2hrs says back, but with lower power, and finished broadcast. Still, a bangin' signal and great audio. And that's when I was living in WNY at the time, I was visiting relatives and I had with me a Sangean ATS-803A portable (Still have it.) hooked to the outer braid coax of a CB antenna. Great MW antenna. Caught up with Dave in March the following year at a HAM'fest and he told me what happened. Apprarently, while throwing out over 15KW on 1620KHz that Christmas Eve night the neighborhood power transformer blew out. (Hmmmmm, couldn't imagine how that happen.) Which is what he told the power company. (Bet they appreciated being out there on Christmas Eve night in winter replacing that x-former. Hi-hi...) Anyways, great MW pirate radio catch, great QSL cards, and a great story behind it all. I'm certainly not the only one who's heard this.
Subject Author Views Posted

The 1620 WJDI Story

kilokat7 1834 February 03, 2014 09:04PM

Re: The 1620 WJDI Story

ThaDood 1619 February 03, 2014 11:48PM

Re: The 1620 WJDI Story

jtart 1456 February 04, 2014 06:26AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login