Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

AM Stereo? May still get a boast. The Pages are still up!

May 11, 2015 07:33AM
Wow!!! I haven't checked out these AM Stereo Pages in about 15 years, but I'm still glad that they're up. And, most of these pages haven't been updated in about 15 years, but still a lot of great info to check out;

[users.hfx.eastlink.ca]

Trust me, you'll spend hours reading these. I've corresponded with the dude that put this page up ON / OFF for a couple of years, and even bought a couple AM Stereo walkman portables via his recommendation, but haven't communicated since about 2002. Some interest to DX'ers hear since some Sony DX portables, and JRC tabletop RX's, have the Motorola C-QUAM chip in them for the synchronous AM detection, and it's only a simple MOD to do to get AM stereo from them (Like the Sony ICF-2010). And I've actually met the dude Alfredo mentioned in the page who, for his college project, designed a 20mW AM C-QUAM Part #15 transmitter. I've seen the schematic and it's doable to the hobbiest to build. One other thing to consider, getting back to an earlier AM IBOC thang a post earlier, is that most IBOC Digital radios come equipped with AM C-QUAM. I see that as a benefit. BTW, if you've never heard AM Stereo, it does seem to have more of an ambience about it than FM Stereo, although that engineer of the AM Stereo Pages believes that he can make FM Stereo sound that way too. However, as JTA mentioned on my earlier post, now if we can get AM stations to air something different great and to keep their AM Stereo C-QUAM gear on, that itself would be a plus. Yeah... Hey AM station owners, why is it when you buy a station with AM Stereo, and change format, do you turn off the C-QUAM Stereo encoder? Does it really cost that much to keep it on?
Subject Author Views Posted

AM Stereo? May still get a boast. The Pages are still up!

ThaDood 1516 May 11, 2015 07:33AM

Re: AM Stereo? May still get a boast. More links!!!

ThaDood 1079 May 11, 2015 01:37PM

Re: AM Stereo? May still get a boast. More links!!!

Radio Animal 1089 May 11, 2015 05:28PM

Re: AM Stereo? May still get a boast. The Pages are still up!

jtart 995 May 11, 2015 01:47PM

Radio Animal 1153 May 11, 2015 05:50PM

Lee 1129 May 19, 2015 11:00AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login