Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

County Comm GP-5 DSP General Purpose Radio

October 23, 2014 04:26AM
I bought another one because they finally became available again on: www.countycomm.com

I bought the original, the GP-4L 7 or 8 years ago. The GP-4L fit into the palm of your hand and had the similar specs. But this GP-5DSP is a marked improvement over the GP-4L.

This is the best $44.95 you'll ever spend for a shortwave/AM/FM (stereo via headphones) radio. The website two years ago when I bought the first one, said that "they're for Special Forces" and after 2-years of throwing it into a bag and hauling it along for road trips and for putting it in my pocket for yard work, this radio can and does perform in the field. Does not have Sideband but that is the only downside to it.

The only time County Comm will sell to the public is when they have a production over-run. Comes with a little "beam" that attaches to the top for MW that is very impressive. Also has a long wire that attaches to the antenna that out performed my expectations. If you want a little (slightly larger than a pack of cigarettes) AM/FM/Shortwave you can carry in your front pocket or attach to your belt (has belt clip and soft case that has belt loops) this is a big surprise. The front panel has several choices for display. Temperature, Time, Signal DB/ Signal to Noise ratio Dbu and even has an alarm. I'm surprised more people don't know about this little gem. If you see one for sale, grab it. It won't be on the shelf for long. Here are the specs:

GP-5DSP Specs:

Radio: 225 hrs at 40% Volume ( 50% Increased Runtime )
FM – Stereo via stereo earphones / MW / LW / SW
FM – Stereo via stereo earphones / MW / LW / SW
FM Frequency range adjustable (76 / 87 / 87.5 ~ 108 MHz)
Antenna Length 18 Inches
450 Station Memories
Multi Tuning Methods: ATS, ETM, Auto scan tuning with 5 seconds pre-listening for both frequency & memory (VF / VM), Manual tuning 9K/10K AM tuning step selectable
Silicon Labs Si4734 DSP chipset
LCD Backlight
Key lock function
External AM antenna Jack
Built-in rechargeable function (USB jack, 5V) ( can use rechargeable batteries )
Size: 53 (W) x 159 (H) x 26 (D) mm
FM: 87 – 108 or 76 – 108 MHz
MW/ AM: 522 - 1620 (9K tuning step) or 520 – 1710 kHz (10K tuning step )
SW: 2300 – 21950 kHz
LW frequency: 150 – 522 kHz (available for 9K tuning step only)

Sterile Fiberboard Packaging Per Contract Requirements

Accessories include:

Power Requirements:

Stereo earphones
External AM antenna
Soft antenna
Carrying pouch
User manual

Power Requirements:

4.5 Volts DC via side jack (no adapter included)
3 each "AA" batteries ( Batteries not included )
Dimensions: 6.20" X 2.05" X .80"
Weight: 85 Grams not including batteries
Speaker: 40 mm in diameter, 4 Ohms, .5 watt ( 2 times the ouput of the GP-4L )
Earphone Jack: 3.5 MM, Earphones Included

Limited Supply From Surplus Contract

The website also has a lot of "prepper" tools and accessories.

[www.countycomm.com]

The MW reception is exceptional. Makes listening to MW at night fun again. The FM Stereo (via headphones) is likewise top notch. The only bands I've listened to on shortwave are 41mtrs and some 40mtr AM hams. Really good audio and easy tuning. Also listened to some of the 9mhz stations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2014 05:39AM by Pat Murphy.
Subject Author Views Posted

County Comm GP-5 DSP General Purpose Radio

Pat Murphy 1951 October 23, 2014 04:26AM

Re: County Comm GP-5 DSP General Purpose Radio

CaptainGanja 1159 October 23, 2014 07:34AM

Pat Murphy 1334 November 03, 2014 04:59AM

Pat Murphy 1271 November 05, 2014 06:35PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login